Friday, September 02, 2005

Catching Up

It's been a looong time since I posted. I have much to say, but not a lot of time to say it. I'm about to head out of town, so I won't be able to post for a few days. Because of this, I thought I would just go ahead and do a quick update.

Work kind of blows right now. I'll get into that more later, but I will say I'm not giving up on it. I want to fix some problems there before I find a new job. Otherwise, I'll feel like I am just running away, without having learned anything. I need to know that if I get a new job, the same issue won't follow me. It's stressful, but I know I can handle it, and it will only make me more successful in the future.

I also need to post more on the tubing trip we went on recently, and more detail on the one before that. The first one was fun, but not without its drama, (provided by myself, of course). The second one went much better. I didn't get burned.. in the same places. There was no real drama and such, but I had a bit of a hangover, (though, it didn't last long).

This past Saturday, my friends and I were watching Ringu 2, (original, Japanese version of The Ring 2). It was alright, but the best part was when we first started watching it, the power kept on going off in the house. It was real quick, and happened several times right in the begining of the movie. Freaked us the fuck out. On top of that, there was a lot of thunder and lightning. (Best way to watch a horror movie like The Ring, I tell ya!)

After watching the movie, we went outside for a smoke, where we saw that a tree had fallen in the backyard. That just made things more freaky, especially since we didn't even hear it fall down! The wind had snapped a perfectly healthy tree of ours, and it landed on the fence and.. well, I'll just show you:



Yea, I had to clean that shit up the next morning, NOT fun at all. It was good for a few laughs, though. It didn't cause any damage to the fence, nothing that a hammer and some nails wouldn't fix. Clearing and cutting the tree was hard, but it cleaned up pretty nicely, in the end.

I'll post some more when I get back. In the meantime, I'll end with something I've been meaning to do for a while. A few posts ago, I quoted Voltaire. I always liked the quote about doubt (list below), so when I posted it, I wanted to make sure I quoted it right. While looking it up, I came across quite a few others I really liked. I'm not listing them all, or in any order of preference, just twenty that I think are really good:


Voltaire Quotes

  • Doubt is not a pleasant condition, but certainty is an absurd one.
  • Judge a man by his questions rather than his answers.
  • I may disagree with what you have to say, but I shall defend to the death your right to say it.
  • It is better to risk saving a guilty man than to condemn an innocent one.
  • Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.
  • All murderers are punished unless they kill in large numbers and to the sound of trumpets.
  • The art of government is to make two-thirds of a nation pay all it possibly can pay for the benefit of the other third.
  • No snowflake in an avalanche ever feels responsible.
  • It is lamentable, that to be a good patriot one must become the enemy of the rest of mankind.
  • It is vain for the coward to flee; death follows close behind; it is only by defying it that the brave escape.
  • God is a comedian playing to an audience too afraid to laugh.
  • If God created us in his own image, we have more than reciprocated.
  • Nothing would be more tiresome than eating and drinking if God had not made them a pleasure as well as a necessity.
  • It is an infantile superstition of the human spirit that virginity would be thought a virtue and not the barrier that separates ignorance from knowledge.
  • What most persons consider as virtue, after the age of 40 is simply a loss of energy.
  • Use, do not abuse; neither abstinence nor excess ever renders man happy.
  • The safest course is to do nothing against one's conscience. With this secret, we can enjoy life and have no fear from death.
  • Love has features which pierce all hearts, he wears a bandage which conceals the faults of those beloved. He has wings, he comes quickly and flies away the same.
  • Never argue at the dinner table, for the one who is not hungry always gets the best of the argument.
  • The best way to be boring is to leave nothing out.

However: "A witty saying proves nothing." - Voltaire


More quotes and information on Voltaire:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home