Monday, January 24, 2005

Good God, Here's Another One!

I'm afraid to go to James Dobson's website on this one, and see the details, because it might make me more mad than I care to be today. This article just makes me feel violent. Not because I am offended, just extremely irritated at his level of stupidity and/or ignorance. I get frustrated that human civilization has filtered out the much needed "natural selection". In other words, some people just need to be mauled by a bear, (or at least be allowed to drive without a seat belt)!

The Teletubbies, and now Sponge Bob. He's not specifically attacking him, but more its association and usage in an educational video for school, and what it supposedly teaches about homosexuality. Please read the article, and then see if you can track down the specifics. If it makes the situation more reasonable, let me know, so I can cool down, (for now). If not, tell me so, but not the details, (I need to wait for a better day to read it).

I'm not bashing anyone's religion. In fact, I remember Jesus, (Yeshua, really), talking and doing many things: criticizing religious hypocrites, not chasing money, helping the poor and rejected, forgiving one another and being tolerant, loving all including your enemy, turning the other cheek, treating others the way you would want to be treated yourself, etc. Now, I may have only a Sunday school education in religion, (well, and the History and Discovery Channel), and I know I am not a theologian, but I don't remember Jesus harping on about gay people.

Not necessarily saying he gave it his seal of approval, and I don't want to get into THAT debate, but if you had to summarize Jesus' teachings, homosexuality would not make the list. Hell, it wouldn't make the second level of detail down on the outline. So why is it that it seems to be the first thing some Christians talk about, and Jesus' primary teachings are put to the side?

Christianity, or whatever name you want to put on the ideals Jesus had taught, is not meant to be about going around judging people, raining hellfire and brimstone down on "the sinful". You help people with love, not condemnation. Many of these people sound like they read the Hebrew Bible (AKA Old Testament), skip over the gospels, skim the rest of the New Testament until they get to Revelations, where they become the happiest. Many of these people say that "all are sinners in the eyes of God", but don't act like it. They would give you the impression that they were an archangel sent by God to smote Sodom and Gomorrha and free America from the heathens. But in the end, they end up seeming more like the Pharisees than an angel, (or even a decent human being).

Okay, big tangent.. sorry...

6 Comments:

Blogger Chris said...

Sponge Bob? Shit, when I was a kid we had far more overt homosexual agenda on TV. There was Batman and Robin, in the little green speedo, always running around looking at each other with blanked out eyes. You knew what Batman was looking at when he was climbing a rope behind Robin, and it wasn't the eggs. Well, maybe it was...

What made *me* want a male companion was Johnny Quest. That Race character, with his hair and muscles. I used to wish he'd come rescue me...

4:21 PM  
Blogger Jules said...

Kinda like this...

5:02 PM  
Blogger Jay said...

Damn you Bubba!

Sure I was curious. Who wouldn't be after reading your seductive words. I had to click on the link. Then launch the video.

Now it's all over. I have new desires. I've been turned. Damn Bubba. Damn Sponge Bob and his sultry ways. Damn Tinky Winky.

Jay

5:10 PM  
Blogger Buddha Bubba said...

Hey, I may have given you a link to the video, but I didn't watch it. YOU'RE the one whose going to die in seven days not me, (or in this case, turn gay in seven days). But it usually takes longer than seven days, given the amount of pauses for "rebuffering video".

The bad part is that you never know what "the ring" is until the very end...

5:30 PM  
Blogger Mahala said...

Ya know, I don't claim to be a theologian either and I was upset as well by the whole Spongebob and Buster Bunny thing. I did read the bible front to back about a year ago and there is a passage (don't ask me where, somewhere in the New Testament) where Jesus says that some eunuchs are born as eunuchs from their mother's womb and some are made eunuchs by the hand of man. I paraphrase.. alot.. but it's in there. If you go to the original Greek and find the word that eunuch is translated from and then see how it was used in society at that time, it looks, to me anyway, as if Jesus was refering to homosexuals beig born that way, not as a choice. And well, my reasoning is, if they're born that way, God made them that way and he doesn't screw up right? Anyways, not trying to argue or anything, just thought I'd share that.

8:42 PM  
Blogger Buddha Bubba said...

"Jesus says that some eunuchs are born as eunuchs from their mother's womb and some are made eunuchs by the hand of man. I paraphrase.. it looks, to me anyway, as if Jesus was refering to homosexuals beig born that way, not as a choice. And well, my reasoning is, if they're born that way, God made them that way and he doesn't screw up right?"

I remember hearing or reading something like that before, and frankly, but your interpretation seems more sound than other people's I have come across. They usually seem to emphasize "the hand of man" part as meaning homosexuality is a choice. It never made sense to me, because I always thought eunuchs, in the purest sense of the word, were made that way by, er, "the hand of man", by, well, cutting their, *cough*, off.

Their idea is, "Well, a eunuch from the womb means they were born infertile, or by the hand of man, meaning themselves, they choose not to procreate, because they're gay." A stretch I know, but somehow, they always think it is a convincing interpretation. I haven't, however, and I think you just showed me what I couldn't put my finger on, (no pun intended).

Man, now I have that scene from "History of the World, Part 1" stuck in my head. Gregory Hine was pretty funny in that. Anyways, you'll find no argument from me. While I have nothing against religion, and I am by no means an athiest, dogmatic behavior always pisses me off. Not only that, but I could care less what someone else does as long as it harms no one else. Homosexuality falls right into this category, as far as I am concerned.

10:56 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home