Thursday, November 08, 2012

Got a Job

Well, I finally got a job!  I found out over a week ago, but it took two or three days to get an official offer.  I ended up getting more than I thought I would, which is good and bad.  Good for obvious reasons, and bad because.. well, maybe they won't own my soul, but they are definitely renting it!  It's going to be a demanding job, but I think in a good way.

It's been a week since I signed the acceptance letter, and almost a week since I did the piss test.  It's been quiet, and I'm a little worried.  Not that I failed it, or that there were any issues on the background check, but.. you never know.  I'm a little bit of a paranoid person - maybe "unnecessarily anxious" is a better way to put it.  I don't really feel like I have the job until I'm coming home from the first day of work (or maybe the day after).

I'm worried that this is going to fall through, not because it is probable, but because it is possible (i.e. "shit happens").  Even if there is only a 1% chance of this job not happening, I don't like those odds.  I have stopped my job search, because I signed the offer letter.  I have been disregarding e-mails and phone calls, politely responding, "I recently accepted a job offer".  I would hate to have lost all that time, and any possible opportunities.  I want this job, but.. I'm being paranoid.

This is distracting me from things I could be doing to prepare, or at least get some things done around the house.  It shouldn't, I know I'm being stupid.  It doesn't help that something happened yesterday (and into this morning) that has made me even more preoccupied - but more on that in another post.

Oh yeah, and yea, Obama got reelected.  (Notice the lack of an exclamation mark.)  I voted for him, but I just don't have that political fervor I used to have.  My wife has always been like that, and maybe being married to her for so long has affected my taste for politics.

I'm not apathetic, but after reading or participating in too many fruitless debates online and off, I just don't have it in me to write about it.  The anonymity of the web gives people cover to say incendiary and stupid things, but it's not much better in real life.  Add on top of that, all the intention and unintentional distortion of facts that are out there, and it's hard to be passionate about what you think the truth is.

We will see what happens, only time will tell.  Unfortunately, that can be applied to too many things in my life right now.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home