Saturday, October 27, 2012

I don't want a job in "Maxico"

The hits just keep on coming.

The day before yesterday, someone sent me a contract position in "Maxico" (not Mexico) doing something (Oracle EBS implementation) I have no business doing (a very small piece of it is mentioned in my resume, but that's it).  It's in "Maxicali" (not Mexicali), which is just over the border with California - but yea, no.

It reminds me of the time I got an opportunity sent to me that was a very short contract in New York city to train people on SAP B/W.  I mentioned this, too, on my resume, but only to show familiarity with different sources of data for ETL (extract transform load) development.  I ended up taking that blurb out of my resume to avoid crap like that in the future.

This lazy practice by recruiters annoys me; I end up having to go through a lot of spam just to get through the things I am looking for (at least something close).  It's not really "spam", but something I heard refer to before as "bacon".  It's not (completely) unjustified or undesired, but too much and it annoyingly clogs up your inbox.

There is good news, though.  I had a phone interview that day, which lead to me having an onsite interview yesterday.  It went pretty well, and should be a good opportunity, but I'm not counting my chickens yet.  Last time something seemed like a virtual lock, I didn't get it.  I'm up against more people this time, but there may or may not be more than one position to fill.  Either way, I'm not getting excited and I'm not losing an iota of focus on finding another job.

However, I first need to complete my thank you letter to the people I interviewed with.  After the last interview, I sent my usual remarks, but the recruiter stopped and told  me to strengthen it up.  I did, and while it didn't help me get the job, it did give me some insight.  I tried applying those lessons this time around, but so far, it's going slow.  I'm going to send it today, but I have some serious writers block - hence why I am blogging right now (though, I intended to post something the past couple of days, anyway).

Okay, that's enough "structured procrastination" - time to get the letter/e-mail out.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home