Tuesday, April 05, 2005

You know, I keep meaning to write...

It's been over a month since I last posted, it seems. It's not like I didn't have anything to post about. I just keep on writing "essays", and talked myself out of posting them.

Take this for instance, (also found here). People in the South are "banning" some IMAX movies because they are either about, or even just briefly reference, evolution. They find it "blasphemous", and of course believe in "Creationism", instead. Many, if not most, of these theaters in question are located at museums. Now, the last time I looked, if you had a problem with evolution, the museum might not be the place for you.

However, it's not so simple. No one is protesting or banning anything, really. Some theaters in the South decided to screen these movies for focus groups, just to determine marketability. And of course, they decided not to show it because of the focus group. They pussied out, took the overreacting and overcautious path, because of the slight possibility of low ticket sales.

This has some unintended consequences. For instance, a hesitation to produce more IMAX movies of this nature. Since IMAX movies are not incredibly profitable, they don't have much room to rock the boat. (Though, I do find it funny that a scientific movie about evolution is "rocking the boat".)

And the reason I didn't write this last week when it happened? I talked myself out of it. I started asking myself questions, put it into the proper frame of reference, and it wasn't as exciting to write about as I first thought. Sure, I live in the South, with these very ignorant people. Tragedy? No, (though, it sucks). Nothing illegal, nothing immoral, (in my belief), and nothing threatening to someone else's rights. Just some dipshits, (and you know what they say about legislating common sense).

But when you think about it, most things in the news are like that. Some event is blown out of proportion, has misleading details, or is oversimplified, to make it more news worthy, (and thereby increasing readership, and hence, ad revenue). A contraversy is found, usually by listening to the loudest people, who usually happen to be the most ignorant. Ignorance feeds on itself, and then the next thing you know, you have Tom Delay on TV getting red-faced for some reason.

That's why you didn't hear this on the news that much, if at all. It didn't have much to warp into an issue. Maybe I'm being cynical, but it seems this way to me.

I have a bit more on my mind, that I will write about tomorrow, (if I don't procrastinate again).

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home