Tuesday, May 31, 2005

Wow, they can Fed Ex ANYTHING these days!

.. even "babies":

The package went astray because of an erroneous Zip code. In a panic, she drove to a FedEx warehouse to retrieve it herself.

"I went to the counter, and I wasn't leaving until they gave me that tank," she said. "I said: 'You have my babies there. I need you to hand them over.' "

There were eleven of them, and only one lived. But what do you expect, they were sent Fed Ex! You'd think they could at least have put them in a crate with a few breathing holes. A tank, what were they thinking!?

Ok, they we're actually embryos, and they were in a cryogenic tank, (read article here). They didn't die until later:

Over the next three years, she insisted that her doctors transfer all of the embryos into her womb, two or three at a time. She had four transfers, and three miscarriages. Tanner was the only one who survived, but "we were committed to all 11 of those babies," she said. "We were going to see it through as long as it took."

That's quite a commitment! Not sure if it is wise, (imagine if you had eleven kids), but I'll give points for putting your money where your mouth is. Why would someone make a commitment like this?

As evangelical Christians, the Brinkmans, who are both 32, believe that life begins at conception and that each embryo is a person.

I try not to throw stones at people's religous beliefs. They aren't negatively affecting anyone's life, so why mention them? Well, they are being used as props for a Bush photo op, (again, read full story). I'm glad they were able to benefit from something that was just going to be thrown away, but this isn't a solution to the underlying problem:

Proponents of embryonic stem cell research, which requires the destruction of the embryos but which many scientists think has enormous potential to develop ways to repair organs and fight disease, say there are so few adoptions that thousands of embryos will be discarded if they are not used for research. Even if such adoptions were to increase manyfold, "it will not solve the question of what happens to the leftover embryos," said Michael Manganiello, senior vice president of the Christopher Reeve Paralysis Foundation in Washington.


Please read the rest of the article, but take note on the following excerpts and...


PLEASE READ BETWEEN THE LINES
(a new series.. maybe)


Some Snowflakes donors are as concerned as the recipients about the fate of the embryos. Kathryn Goodrich, 47, of Webster, Minn., said she felt "blessed" when her leftover embryos were adopted by Janet Mason, 37, a family practice physician in Columbus, Ohio. "I needed to know that they were not going to science, they were not going to be destroyed and they were not going to a couple that might have a lifestyle that I would not choose for my own children," she said.

READ - I believe in saving lives.. as long as it means that no hellbound lesbos get their turkey basters on my microscopic babies! I'd rather them die!

But the Rev. Tadeusz Pacholczyk, who has a doctorate in neuroscience from Yale and is staff ethicist at the National Catholic Bioethics Center in Philadelphia, argued that embryo adoptions would make Catholics complicit in test-tube fertilizations, which the church considers illicit. Moreover, he said, artificially implanting an embryo in a woman's womb is a "grave violation of the nature of marital sexuality."

READ - We believe in the sanctity of life.. as long as the guy in the big funny hat says it's okay.
OR - I said MARITAL sexuality! You thought I was going to leave myself open for another priest joke, didn't you?

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Judaism speaks about how a zygote is not a human. Cells are cells... Like many, I do not believe Cells are humans even if they have the potential to become something else once cooked.
My favorite analogy is the cells are like chickpeas (garbanzo beans). A Chickpea is not Humus until I mix them with garlic, olive oil and lemon juice and pulse them in the food processor (add some pita bread) now we have Humus! So a dish of cells is not a baby!
Therefore, the whole Bush right wingnuts propaganda machine is doing what they do best, imposing their radical Christian beliefs on politics, science and my rights.
I fear my government.

6:07 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

When I read about things like what was covered in this article it almost makes me laugh.

I agree with anonymous. I don't believe that a zygote is a human.

I believe that life begins at viability and not conception.

And for the record, I am a middle-of-the-road Independent. I am neither Republican nor Democrat. I am neither conservative nor liberal. It just all depends on the subject we're discussing. I just like to stir up trouble sometimes! LOL ;)

5:53 PM  
Blogger Buddha Bubba said...

I know, E. I'm not silly enough to think everyone who doesn't agree with me on everything is far out one way or the other. Frankly, I'm independent, too. I might be labeled liberal/progressive by most people, but I am not a Democrat.

6:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home